Donoho’s Key Club Attends District Convention 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meal at the Governor's Ball

Meal at the Governor's Ball

Meal at the Governor's Ball

Meal at the Governor's Ball

Chase Johnson, Staff Writer/ Co-Editor

Key Club is one of the newest international organizations chartered at Donoho; however, the organization itself has been around for close to a century. This past weekend, The Donoho School made personal history by attending the Sixty-Sixth Annual Alabama District Key Club Convention, aka DCON. Here’s a breakdown of the structure of the organization: the school level has a club presided over by the Club President. Each school club is zoned within a “division” that is directed by the Lieutenant Governor. Each division is within a region of states called a “district” which is governed by the District Governor. All the districts comprise Key Club International, over 240 countries and geographical regions, presided by the International Board of Trustees and International President.

Each year, every district of Key Club hosts a convention for any member wanting to fellowship with other community servants, develop their call to lead, and share their achievements to inspire others. The Donoho School Key Club was proud to present a productive first year of service with over thirteen projects and over one-thousand dollars fundraised for various organizations.

With eleven students representing Donoho, we participated in various workshops and gained further insight into the politics of Key Club. Personally, I had attended three conventions (one international and two district-level), and I highly recommend that if you want to experience an enriching conference to develop leadership skills and essential networking connections go to DCON 2019!

I attached the several photos from this weekend, so feel free to ask any person you see in the pictures about some more information about the convention.

ABOVE: The Donoho School Key Club poses for picture before dinner at the Governor’s Ball

ABOVE: Claire, Anastasia, and Shelby

ABOVE: Victoria, Claire, and Anastasia

ABOVE: Trevor, Holden, and Ash

ABOVE: At the Governor’s Ball, each club is invited to decorate their table’s centerpiece. The theme was the 1950’s, so we put something together to highlight the theme!

ABOVE: Ms. Dewberry and Mrs. Gaines cruising in their cardboard convertible!