Commenting on Controversy: Fixing Gun Violence

I genuinely believe that everyone can agree that we need to take action to stop this violence, yet there seems to be an overwhelming amount of dissension among the nation regarding these plans to fortify the safety of our schools.

Chase Johnson, Staff Writer/ Co-Editor

Warning: if you have sensitivities to firearms or the gun-control discussion, please use discretion before reading this article. Remember, all opinions reflected in this article are solely those of the writer and do not reflect The Donoho School as a collective.

Following the recent spike in gun violence, many political commentators seem to believe the “tip of the iceberg” is close to being reached concerning citizen’s willingness to standby waiting on lawmaker’s lag in action.

There is much talk from both partisan and nonpartisan groups who make up Congress, and there have been numerous discussions with students, law-enforcement, and school officials to understand what people have in mind for viable solutions.

My idea is that we further prepare both students and teachers for the occurrence of a crisis by doing drills, just as we prepare for natural disasters such as tornados, hurricanes, etc. I also believe that a level of gun control should be implemented on the national level.

My interpretation of the Bill of Rights is that change “necessary and proper” to protect students from fear of violence at school constitutes, under the Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 8, the government to restrict the caliber of weapon that a civilian should be able to possess. I understand that it is unrealistic to expect citizens to return their firearms. I propose the production and sale of assault rifles should cease immediately; by phasing out assault rifles with time, the number of guns in circulation would dissipate likely within the next fifty years. (I support this claim by urging you to ask yourself how many cars from the seventies you see on American roads.)

Of course, my plan could take years to see its effects. Therefore, I agree mine is unquestionably not a perfect solution. However, I do believe it is the responsibility of our government to protect its citizens by at least taking action to show its condemnation of violence. Until then, I hope the conversation continues, and beneficial change follows.

As always, let me know what you think by leaving a comment.