A New Perspective 

Sarah Green, Arts' Column Co-Editor

Upper school art students are combining math and art in their latest art project: one-point prospective. In art class, students are using their geometry skills to draw lines towards a single point on their paintings called the vanishing point. Have you ever wandered why everything seems to vanish in the distance?  We have, so we asked some people involved in this project the following questions:

Why do objects vanish in the distance? How does this relate to one-point perspective? 

11th grade art student Adam Stremmel says,  “As things get farther away, they also get smaller. One-point perspective keeps objects in proportion the closer they get to the vanishing point. This point is at eye-level, usually on the horizon line.”

What is so special about one-point perspective?

Upper school art teacher Ms. Sarah Landrum says, “One-point perspective is my favorite perspective because of the lens of focus it brings to the viewer. There is an intensity and stillness of it that I really love.”

Of course, the Donoho Arts Department is not the first to study one-point perspective. In fact, one-point perspective is one of the oldest ideas in art history. The idea was first introduced in the 1400s and has been used in many famous paintings since.  Maybe you have heard of “The Last Supper” by Leonardo da Vinci or Salvador Dalí’s “The Persistence of Memory”? Donoho art students are studying the two paintings in order to dive deeper into the realm of one-point perspective. Stop by the Fine Arts’ Building to check out some of these awesome projects!