Achieving Excellence: National Merit Semifinalist and President’s Volunteer Service Award Recipient

Isabella Nelson, Staff Writer

The Donoho School’s mission statement is “The Donoho School empowers me to LEAD: Live with Honor, Engage my Passion, Act with Humility, and Delight in Wisdom”. As this school year has gotten started, our mission statement is being portrayed by all of Donoho’s students. Some of the students listed below are examples of how our student body is leading this year.

James Perry was recently recognized for his academic achievement on the PSAT exam when he was named a National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist. The senior competed with over 1.6 million students across the country in the 2019 National Merit Scholarship Program. He was then chosen based on his test score to join the prestigious group of Semifinalists that represent less than one percent of high school seniors in the country.  In order to become a Finalist, which is announced in February, the Semifinalist must submit various documents detailing his or her achievements in many different aspects of life.

This year, Bryant Barrentine and Camden Kitchen, also seniors at Donoho, were named Commended Students for their performance on the PSAT. About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. They are among the top 50,000 scorers of more than 1.6 million students who entered the 2019 competition.

Holden Abernathy, a senior at the Donoho School, was recognized early in the school year for receiving the President’s Volunteer Service Award. This prestigious honor recognizes and celebrates individuals that strive to make a positive impact in  society through tremendous amounts of time and effort. The volunteer service provided by each individual that receive this award is extremely important to the function and identity of the American society. The recipients are able to not only help out their communities through good works, but they are also able to inspire others to follow along the same path.

Congratulations to James, Bryant, Camden, and Holden!