Reid Williamon

Reid+Williamon

The Shaping of Who I Am Today

As a child, I remember things that I now look back on and realize that these events shaped me to the person I am today. My biological mother was a drug addict, and many times when I would visit her, I would see things that would stick to me. As a child I really did not get much of what was going on but I still remember things that stick with me today. I used these things to push myself to make sure that I do not fall on the same path as my biological mother.   

She has been the biggest influence in my life because she showed me what I do not want to be in life. In sports, I would use her as a motivation to push my body even harder when I was tired or hurting. In high school, I would think about her when studying to remind myself I need to keep studying to do well in school. I want to be a successful person with a college degree and a good job to support myself and my family if God decides to bless me with those things. I want to set myself up for a good future and make sure I don’t live a life like my biological mother. College is where I am going to set myself up to be a successful man in society and not fall to the life that I saw when I was a child. 

Throughout my high school career, it has been pretty good over all; of course, there are bad days but there are more good days than bad days. A lot of these bad days have taught me a lot and have shaped me to be a stronger and better person. One of these bad days that made me change my whole thinking about life was around Christmas time when my brother and I got into a car wreck. My brother was driving and I was in the passenger seat. We hit a car head on and flipped his Jeep. When the car stopped sliding, I got up and saw my brother lying there, and he was not moving. I thought my brother was dead and I had lost him. Eventually he came to and he got out of the car. When I went to the other car, I thought the lady was dead also. This event made me realize that any day and any hour you could lose your life. This really opened my eyes to how short life can be and how fast it can end. It showed me that you do not need to have regrets in life; you need to live your life to the fullest. You need to give it your all in everything, so you do not have any regrets at the end of the day. It also showed me how to appreciate the little things in life like being around your family, your friends, and just staying happy as much as you can. 

Throughout my high school career, I also have had a lot of unique opportunities like job shadowing. Job shadowing has opened my eyes up to what I want to be when I grow up while also teaching me what I do not want to be when I grow up. I met a lot of people job shadowing doctors and really got to talk to a lot of people. My first year, I shadowed an infectious disease doctor and it was really fun. Infectious disease doctors see a lot of what most people consider to be nasty stuff. Infectious disease was my favorite profession I shadowed because I enjoyed helping people and taking care of them. Job shadowing showed me what I would like to do with my life and the job I want. It has helped me pick my major in college and helped me finish my college plan. Job shadowing was the greatest opportunity I had in high school and really helped me figure out what I would like to do with my life. 

In high school, I had other opportunities like Donoho Joe. This gave me good life skills such as how to manage money and be proactive in making sure we had everything for the week. It taught me skills that I will use later in my life. High school has also brought me many community service opportunities which opened my eyes on how bad some people’s lives are and how little things can make their year. High school has taught me many things and without it I would not be the person I am today. 

Audio not available.