Intersession Job Shadowing 2017- Medicine

Learn about some of the experiences of Donoho students who job shadowed in the diverse field of medicine during intercession 2017.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Olivia Davis, Staff Writer

The week of intersession provides many diverse and unique opportunities to Donoho students each year. One of the options for 10th-12th graders is the experience of job shadowing in an area of interest. There are many fields in which one could potentially shadow, but one that is very common and popular each year is medicine. Whether the week is spent with a surgeon, physician, medical researcher, or even a genetic counselor, medicine in its entirety has kept the Donoho job shadowing program thriving. This year many students were given amazing opportunities to engage their passions alongside people who work in field of medicine everyday.

I myself was able to shadow at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital all week. I have always had a passion for medicine, but I was never quite sure which career I wanted to pursue. I was able to work at a different location each day to really learn about the diversity of the medical world and the teamwork involved between the distinct professions. I was able to shadow in a Pediatric Surgery Clinic, Genetic-Biochemistry Lab, Rhett Syndrome Clinic, and Pediatric Neurology Clinic. Each day brought a new challenge and reward, and I was thankful at the end of the week to have experienced and learned so much! Although I am still not completely sure which job is the best fit for me, the week gave me a small study at what it is like to work in the field of medicine, and I now know with certainty that I definitely want to be a part of it in the future.

There were several other students who shadowed in the field of medicine, including Donoho junior Emma Arnold. Throughout the week she job shadowed three optometrists local to Anniston. She observed as they saw patients, most of whom were there for routine eye exams. She learned about the process of how glasses are made and how they cut the lenses to fit the frames. The doctors explained all about how the eye works and various things that can affect an individual’s vision. It was all very interesting, and Emma learned that the profession would be great for anyone who enjoys math, science, and being around people.

Donoho’s job shadowing program provides to students the unique opportunity to view real-world job experience at a young age. Although it is only for one week, it can often be eye opening to a student’s passion and what he/she is capable of in the future. The field of medicine is not for everyone, but intersession has the potential to help students determine if it is the right for them! The week showed that there are many future medical workers walking the halls of Donoho.