Donoho Summer Stories

Donoho Summer Stories

Adam Stremmel, Staff Writer

Summer has now been over for around four weeks. This means that, whether you like it or not, school is officially back in session. Even though summer is over, we can still look back on the summer of 2017 with fondness. Many Donoho students had very cool experiences that have not been heard of by others, and I was able to speak with a few of these lucky students about their exciting summer memories.

Over the summer, Sailor Miao (10th) visited the Shanghai Disneyland. While it was extremely hot (almost 105 degrees), he had an amazing time. His favorite ride at Shanghai was Space Mountain. According to Sailor, the fireworks show was “very cool.” It was themed around the movie Frozen and had a live singer performing while the show went on. He also saw Frozen live on stage. The actors portraying Frozen’s characters were played by Americans. According to Sailor, they “spoke in poor Chinese, but at least they tried.”

John Noone (11th) also had an interesting summer story. He traveled to Fort Morgan, Alabama in the gulf coast area, and he was stung by three different jellyfish on three different days. According to John, “It hurt just about as much as an ant bite. It didn’t sting in one place, like an ant bite, but felt like multiple ant bites in the same general area.” By the third time he was stung, it was just getting annoying. It didn’t keep him from getting into the ocean, but he was a lot more cautious when he did. John said, “It was definitely an experience that I hope won’t happen again.”

Another summer story comes from Cory Van Ekris (12th). Cory volunteered at a special needs summer camp at Camp McDowell called Special Session. He was assigned two special needs campers to watch over and befriend during the week. While he was there, he worked with several kids with many different needs. The campers participated in activities such as swimming, arts and crafts, fishing, and farming. At the end of the week, the campers put on a talent show. Cory stated about his experience, “It was a truly amazing and heartwarming experience, and I was so happy to be able to work it this summer. I hope to work it again this upcoming summer!”

Finally, Haley Holmes (11th) was in two shows with Red Mountain Theater Company. She was in both The Fiddler on the Roof and Once on This Island Jr. It took up her entire summer, and she lived in and out of Birmingham for around two months during the process. She went to six auditions in total. Haley was also accepted into the RMTC Conservatory Performing Ensemble. She will be in rehearsals every weekend for the rest of the year for the Conservatory.

These are just a few of the many fun stories from the Donoho students’ summers! Although summer break is long over, we can still enjoy the school year with our friends while remembering these fond memories.